Water Damage Bring You Mold? Manage It With A Dehumidifier

Old homes, and sometimes new homes as well, can hold secrets. You may think everything is fine when you purchase your new home, but is it really? Sometimes, all it takes is a few sniffles and sneezes to realize there’s something going on inside of your walls. This sneaky intruder is one of the worst invisible assailants you can possibly have, and it’s name is mold. Fortunately, there are a few things that you can do to help get rid of the problem and some signs you can look for before you purchase your new home.

Water Damage & Mold


It’s no surprise that mold is hidden everywhere you go, it’s just nature. Unfortunately, a lot of the mold that can build up in a home can be toxic to the human body. If you recently discovered your new home has water damage in a certain spot, you may want to check all of the other common spots where water related damages may happen such as:

  • Bathroom
  • Kitchen
  • Laundry room
  • Near pipes & sinks
  • Spots prone to condensation & humidity

If these spots have issues such as warping or bulging, stains, discoloration, and cracked or peeling paint, you’ve got water damage and potentially some mold buildup. You may also see small black dots if you have mold. If you see any of these, do not touch it until you contact somebody about it.

Mold is a very dangerous toxin. If you are exposed to certain kinds of mold, you could suffer from stuffiness, throat irritation, skin irritations, eye irritation, coughing, or wheezing. In order to keep it at bay,  you can purchase a dehumidifier from the Good Air Geeks to keep your home below 60 percent. This will help keep the moisture out of your home so that there’s no chance of mold building up again.

Making The Home Livable

Repair Man

If your water damage has lead to mold, don’t panic. If the mold spot is greater than 10 square feet, You’ll need your local mold expert can come in and assess the situation. They may have to refer you to someone who may need to do some demolition work if it’s inside of the walls or it has covered the drywall.

If you decide to do it yourself, you can help eliminate the mold with these three solutions:

  • Borax
  • Vinegar
  • Bleach


If the mold is on a non-porous surface, it can be completely removed. If it’s not, it can’t, which means that drywall will need to be replaced. Its best to remove the moldy items through the nearest window so that you aren’t contaminating other areas of the home. Although bleach will take the color away, it will not kill the mold. It’s best to not go down this route unless you need to remove the stain once you have gotten rid of the main issue at hand.


Once you have made sure the mold is taken care of, you’ll have better peace of mind knowing that you are living in a healthy home. Also, if you plan to sell your home, whether it be now or in the future, the mold will be gone and won’t be a problem for the sale or price.

Alfred Reese